Ecclesfield Parish Council is a local authority established under the Local Government Act of 1894. The Parish has been part of the City of Sheffield since 1974, although it is a completely independent authority in its policy and decision-making.
The Parish of Ecclesfield covers an area of about 22 square kilometres of north Sheffield and is one of the most highly populated Parishes in the North of England. It comprises much of Ecclesfield and all of Chapeltown, High Green and Grenoside.
Two of the Parish boundaries are with Barnsley M.B.C. (A61 north of Thorncliffe and Westwood New Road) and Rotherham M.B.C. (M1 Motorway).
There are approximately 40,000 residents with over 14,000 households paying a precept for Parish Council purposes within their Council tax.